Sunday, February 14, 2010

A festive spirit.

Living in Malaysia, no doubt, we instantly notice various kinds of people from all walks of life. We have all kinds of races here.

Today is Chinese New Year, the Year of the Tiger, and everywhere you can see, most shops are close, roads are deserted (well almost) and well, things are rather peaceful. One thing for sure, during CNY, everyone is happy. We can see the Sikh temples, Christian Churches, Taoist temples, Buddhist temples wishing everyone else a Happy Chinese New Year.

Ahhh, such unity. Such diversity among all races. It is calming to the heart to see, different religions and races, humbling themselves to take the burden of wishing, decorating, inviting, all in the name of a multi-racial community.


I started my day off, at the usual 5.30, yes, I do wake up that early. Got ready for mass, and left home at 7.30. Went to mass, climb up the hill, offered prayers then went into church.

Mass today was extraordinary long. Not only sermon was long, but we also had the Chinese custom of respecting our ancestors. It was rather interesting, only one problem, I couldn't understand most...... no, all...... of it.

We came home, on the way we bought Nasi Lemak. My mom, dad and I went to dig in and 'makan' our nasi lemak. We all rested for awhile.

12.40pm
1.00pm- shower
1.15
1.29- left my house.

Why?

A friend invited me for CNY! Goodness, was I happy, because, I finally had to go out and see a friend. the Amazing thing was, I received alot of ang pau. It made me feel glad; I was proud to be involved with this festive spirit.

I spent at her house for almost 6 hours!! I made my mom very mad; but somehow I was too glad to even feel any anger or animosity. I sat with her, we talked, we laughed. Her dad was the best, he showed me his Vinyl Record set, as crackly as it was, it was great to see someone else had a 'thing' for it.

So, I spent (nicely), the whole day. I felt guilty, because I stayed there way too long. Until, she started to fidget, but just seeing her that day made me already glad.

My dad finally came at 7.30. I went in the car. We drove off. We reached home, we had dinner.

Then just before I called it a day, my father left his own Ang Pau on the table, and shouted from the kitchen, "There a Tiger Ang Pao, for you"

I smiled.

I really did enjoyed that day, not only I had ang pao, but also I got to spend time, with a friend, a friend I really favored.

No comments:

Post a Comment